The Kills. Webster Hall. May 2, 2009

Special Report from NYC!

I flew to New York last weekend because I found a roundtrip, non-stop flight for $179.00. In the meantime, I caught The Kills at Webster Hall.

It's unfair to the rest of us girls when you're as hot as Alison Mosshart. Her beauty rivals that of Erin Wasson and Kate Moss, but add that musical sex appeal only a lead singer rock chick can: Hair covering her face, she chants the words "you ain't born typical," spits and girates onstage while Jamie Hince pulls her by the hair.

The duo, who go by "VV" and "Hotel," play minimalist garage rock blues with two guitars and a drum machine. They did some new tracks off the EP Black Balloon and an array of of older songs, including my favorite "Sour Cherry." After the encore, they hugged one another, Mosshart burying her head in Hince's chest. I suppose the only complaint I had was Jack White, Dean Fertita and Jack Lawrence didn't hop on stage and do a song from their new band, The Dead Weather.

I didn't get there to see The Horrors open, but from the reviews I didn't miss much from a band who dresses ghoolish like it's Halloween and plays "disorganized haunting, 15-minute jams, and may only have the staying power of last night's mascara."

After the show, I went to a Nylon Magazine party in Brooklyn, where the staff spoke about interviewing Mosshart and Hince when they were on the cover. Hince, who is currently dating Kate Moss, spoke about his excitement to hang out with all the children for Thanksgiving: a far stretch from his persona onstage.



No comments:

Post a Comment